Today was a day of work and laughter. Cruising work to be sure, which is always better than work-work, but I didn't get my cup of wine, we have no glasses, until well after 6 pm! Currently, 7:45pm, the kids are beat, the dishes are not done, and we just made a deal where they have to rinse and put away the groceries, then they can do the washing tomorrow morning. This is not atypical.
The morning started with trying to fix the depth sounder. I thought it was a power issue, who wouldn't.
The bare wires in the foreground are for the remote display in the cockpit. The wires were wrapped in cracking electrical tape, but as a friend in the marina once said, "pros don't use electrical tape." The power in the top of the picture had a three way tap, I don't know why. There were actually two negative cables in the circuit, both presumably went back to negative at the panel. Presumably. So snip-snip, we had proper crimps, singletons this time, but alas, the depth sounder no worky-worky, as the pros also say.
Well maybe that is just what I say.
After trying to pry open the depth finder to see what could be the issue and failing, we resorted to plan B, which consisted of connecting our fish finder, velcroing the transducer to a pole and sticking it over the side. It works.
E, Kristen and I then moved the ports-bote, Pineapple, from the starboard aft quarter to the foredeck, slapped in a few seats, and then tossed her over the side. That took at least an hour and a half. Then another solid hour while I figured out a way to safely hoist the 85 lb outboard from the aft deck to Pineapple. Again, E and Kristen were fantastic, and because there was a cool block and tackle involved, we called it all homeschool. Boom!
Finally at three in the afternoon we buzzed ashore with the dogs, and watched the tide come in. There is a spit that dries out at low tide, so as the tide came in we had to keep moving the dinghy anchor up so Pineapple wouldn't be swinging on the hook 40 feet from shore.
At this point in the day Mango was still on the mooring ball. However now that we had a functional depth meter, we wanted to anchor out. Since the wind was a big fat zero, I wanted to move Mango with Pineapple, as if we had a main engine failure. I figure you never know when this will be necessary, and practicing in benign conditions is always good prep to being forced to do something in crap conditions. But, it was nearly 5 pm and we were getting a little punchy from the sun and antics of the day, so we fired up Perry the Perkins and dropped the hook in the normal way.
I admit to being a bit anal about some things, and we ended up a little farther from shore than was strictly necessary, and a little deeper than I would have liked. But I got to deploy nearly all 250' of our chain, and that made me happy.
Now one of the things you do when setting the hook is to put the boat into reverse and back down on the anchor to ensure it is set. I had rigged two snubbers (again, anal), one ⅜ inch thick and the other ½ inch thick. The ⅜ took the brunt of the load, and actually melted a bit as the cleat hitch set on the cleat. The problem was the hitch was poorly done, and slid under high load, which means high friction and heat.
You can see the trough melted out of the thicker dock line that was also around the cleat at the time of anchoring. More lessons learned, fortunately in a relatively safe manner.
Currently I'm in the cockpit, and the kids and Kristen are down below McChillin'. We are the only boat in the entire bay, and it is incredibly peaceful. I can hear the very faint lapping of waves on the hull, and an occasional kid screech in happiness on shore. At least I assume happiness. Yes, surely that is the case.
Tomorrow will be another big day, working on the boat, exploring the shore at low tide, and looking for ice cream. Wish us luck!
April 9th, 2016